Poisonous Plants and Foods

BEWARE- Poisonous Plants and Foods, As Well As Harmful Objects:


* PENCILS - When swallowed or chewed, a pencil can splinter inside the animal and cause damage. If your animal has swallowed a pencil or large chunks of the pencil, do not try to induce vomiting as the splintered wood can cause more damage coming back up again. Instead, immediately go to your Veterinarian.


* Rubber Bands, Rope, Thread, Paper Clips and String - When swallowed by a cat or dog, they can become entwined in the animals digestive system, or cause a blockage. Cat’s often paw at and play with string and yarn and can easily swallow these items. String can even become so tangled inside the animal, that it cuts into the flesh that it is wrapped around. Especially dangerous is when the thread still has a sewing needle attached. Sewing needles and paper clips can puncture organs and cause much damage and need to be immediately removed by a qualified Veterinarian. Be careful not to leave your sewing needles with thread laying around if you have an animal in the house, especially a playful kitten or puppy, although, an animal’s curiosity doesn’t seem to have an age limit. Dogs have been known to swallow entire pieces of rope, and cats can digest yarn. If you are suspicious that your animal may have digested one of these items, and it doesn’t seem to be passing it on it’s own, you may notice the animal beginning to act lethargic and withdraw from eating. It may begin to gag and throw up frequently. Some owners have had success giving the animal olive oil to help the item pass. If this doesn’t work in a very short period of time, then immediately take your animal to the local Vet. Within a short period of time, these blockages can become fatal if not removed.


* Caffeine and Chocolate - Two common poisons for dogs are caffeine and chocolate. This means avoiding coffee grounds, coffee beans, tea, and chocolate. The amount of chocolate needed in order to cause a fatal reaction depends on the size of the dog and the type of the chocolate. Generally, the darker, stronger chocolates are the most harmful as they contain more amounts of caffeine than milk chocolate. If you catch your dog shortly after he has ingested the culprit, then the usual course of action recommended is to immediately induce vomiting before the items are absorbed by your dog’s digestive system. You can often induce vomiting by giving your dog several tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide. Consult with your Veterinarian as exact dosages may vary according to the size of your dog. If your dog consumed large amounts of caffeine or chocolate, then just inducing vomiting may not be enough. You would be wise to also rush them to the local Vet as there are other treatments they may be able to offer your animal to try to minimize the damage to the kidneys and to monitor your dog’s reaction and progression.


* Grapes and Raisins - Another common food item that can potentially be dangerous to your dog are grapes and raisins. Veterinary toxicologists at the Animal Poison Control Center are currently investigating cases where dogs have developed kidney failure after ingestion of medium to large quantities of grapes and raisins (2 to 4 ounces). The veterinary toxicologists are attempting to determine the causative agents or disease processes. Pet owners whose dogs have ingested large quantities of grapes or raisins, or veterinarians managing such cases, are encouraged to call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888) 426-4435 immediately. In response to reports of dogs developing kidney failure after eating grapes or raisins, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) conducted a review of all related cases in its database. Veterinary toxicologists found that all of the canines developed vomiting within six hours of ingestion; the estimated amounts of grapes or raisins eaten ranged from nine ounces to two pounds. Other commonly reported signs included diarrhea, anorexia, lethargy and abdominal pain, and all of the dogs developed evidence of kidney disfunction. Adds APCC's Charlotte Means, DVM, "Whether the ingested grapes were purchased fresh from grocery stores or grown in private yards didn't seem to matter, nor did the brand eaten." Clinical signs lasted for several days--sometimes even weeks. And after aggressive treatment, which included intravenous fluids and medications, half of the dogs recovered, while the others died or had to be euthanized. There is also one reported case of a cat who died from kidney failure after ingesting raisins. At present, the toxic component of grapes or raisins, the exact element that makes it so harmful to dogs (and apparently cats) has not been narrowed down yet. But the damage is undeniable. Stay away from Grapes or raisins as treats for your canine friend. Stick with veggies such as carrots and celery, but always in small, reasonable amounts. f you suspect that your dog has ingested large quantities of raisins or grapes--or any other potentially dangerous substance--call your veterinarian or the APCC's emergency hotline at 1-888-4-ANI-HELP for round-the-clock telephone assistance. For more information on poison prevention, go to APCC online.


* Common Household Plants - Philodendron, Chinese Evergreen, Cordatum, Corn Plant (aka Cornstalk Plant), Devil's Ivy, Dumb Cane, Golden Pothos, Green Gold Nephthysis, Marble Queen, Lilys (members of the Lily family are considered to be highly toxic to cats especially), Red-Margined Dracaena, Striped Dracaena, Taro Vine, Warneckei Dracaena, Cyclamen, Hydrangea, Kalanchoe, Poinsettia (popular around Christmas time), Ferns, Australian Nut, Aloe Vera, Branching Ivy, English Ivy, European Bittersweet, Glacier Ivy, Hahn's self branching English Ivy, Needlepoint Ivy, Azalea, Bird of Paradise, Caladium, Elephant Ears, Castor Bean, Daffodil bulbs, Hemlock, Hyacinth leaves flowers and bulbs, Holly and Mistletoe berries (popular around Christmas time), Morning Glory, Nightshade, Rhubarb, Tulip bulbs, Yew-such as Japanese Yew can cause very sudden death, Marijuana, Oleander, Amaryllis (popular around Easter time), and Schefflera, Iris.


* Other Foods That Can Be Harmful - Mustard Seeds, Potato peelings, shoots and sprouts, Onions & garlic (including onion and garlic powder), Pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips (contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide poisoning), Rhubarb leaves, Moldy/spoiled foods, Macadamia Nuts, Walnuts, Alcohol, Yeast dough, Hops (used in home brewing), Tomato leaves & stems (green parts), Broccoli (in large amounts), Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars, Nutmeg, Raw Potatoes, Turkey skin, Voltarin (in arthritis medication)-Very Fatal, Baby Food (can contain onion powder), Citrus oil, Fat trimmings (Can cause pancreatitis), Human vitamins containing iron (can damage the lining of the digestive system), Large amounts of liver, Mushrooms, Raw fish. Candy containing the sweetener Xylitol (Can cause liver damage and even death), cherry pits, peach pits,


* Foods That Are Specifically Harmful to Cats – Caffeine, chocolate, grapes, raisins, Apple Seeds, Apricot seeds/pits, Avocado fruit/pits, Cherry, Eggplant, Elderberry, Green Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Onions, Potato, Rhubarb leaf, Tobacco, Candy containing the sweetener Xylitol (Can cause liver damage and even death), alcoholic beverages, cherry pits, Hops, Macadamia Nuts, moldy food, peach pits, onion, garlic, walnuts, yeast dough.


DISCLAIMER: The above list is not meant to contain every POSSIBLE harmful or poisonous element that your pet might be exposed to, and does not claim to be such a conclusive list.